4 Reasons Water is More Important than a Beer Run
By Martha Michael
Many of us remember this ad slogan from 1970s television: “It’s the water, and a lot more.”
Even today, “It’s the water” remains the tagline of the iconic Olympia Beer -- not exactly the beverage of choice for today’s health experts who say we should be increasing our water intake, not doing double shots.
Drinking plenty of water, when combined with other natural practices, such as maintaining a healthy weight and regular chiropractic care, is a best odds formula to maximize wellness.
An article on Healthline.com discusses some of the many reasons that drinking water benefits our health. Citing the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, the article suggests that men should drink about 15.5 cups (124 ounces) and women drink about 11.5 cups (92 ounces) of water per day. Our food gives us 20 percent of the recommended water intake, so we need to drink enough to make up the other 80 percent.
Water is a universal player in the health of our internal systems. It’s inexorably linked to our wellness.
It Provides Necessary Excretion for our Bodies
Your sweat, urine and bowel movements all involve water. The body temperature is regulated by releasing sweat when it’s too hot. And a lack of water (and fiber, as well) causes constipation. The kidneys are responsible for fluid balance and a shortage of water places stress on the internal organs.
It Helps Digest Food
A healthy habit worth adopting is to drink water before, during, and after eating, the article says. It assists in absorption of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, sending these elements to the rest of your body for fuel. Studies have shown water intake help aid weight loss, as well.
It Helps Fight Illness
There are diseases and conditions associated with poor hydration, including:
- Exercise-induced asthma
- Urinary tract infection
- Coronary heart disease
Proper hydration is one of the most natural forms of disease prevention, just like routine chiropractic care, which boosts your immunity through maintenance of your spinal health.
As the hub of your nervous system, an unhealthy spine can cause compression of the nerve pathways, which compromises your body’s natural functions. Regular chiropractic visits to monitor changes in your spinal column enable your chiropractor to do more than treat conditions after they occur and cause problems. It’s preventative care -- catching unhealthy developments before health issues become symptomatic.
It Prevents Problems Associated with Dehydration
If you live in a hot part of the country, or if you exercise more than average, be aware that you need to stay hydrated. The body fluids that get used need to be replaced or your systems can’t function normally, says an article on the Mayo Clinic website.
When young children get dehydrated, they may experience severe diarrhea or vomiting. They lose more fluids when they have a fever because they have a greater surface-to-volume area. And when they’re too young to speak, they can’t tell you they’re thirsty or get water themselves.
Similarly, older adults who aren’t ambulatory are dependent on others for liquids. And as you age, you have a smaller reserve for body fluids and, therefore, are less able to conserve water. Conditions such as dementia and diabetes contribute to these problems, and medications can affect hydration levels.
Symptoms of dehydration differ with age, as well.
An infant or young child may experience:
- Dry tongue or mouth
- No tears when crying
- No wet diapers for three hours
- Sunken eyes and cheeks
- Sunken soft spot on the skull
- Listlessness or irritability
Adult symptoms include:
- Extreme thirst
- Dark-colored urine
When seeking treatment for symptoms such as these, your chiropractor will likely offer adjustments for relief, but also go over your lifestyle practices, such as exercise and water intake, to give you the most practical recommendations.
We’ll get the benefits of healthy fluid levels and be less likely to suffer the negative results of dehydration when we realize hydrating is a key to good health. After all, it’s not just water, it’s a lot more.
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this page are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this post is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to provide or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your chiropractor, physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this page.