Biking Through your Vacation
By Donna Kostiew
Spring break is officially right around the corner and many are knee-deep in planning their family vacations. It’s an exciting time. New sights and activities are sure to be on top of everyone’s list of what they expect to experience while away. No matter where your travels take you though, consider exploring the area by adding a bike ride to your planned adventures. It’s a great way to see new things and is an excellent way to get some exercise while having fun. Sure, get your rest and relaxation in first, but the time will still come when your beach towel will need the sand shaken off, so get up and go!
Reasons to add Some Bike Rides During Vacation
Bike tours and rides are a fun way to see the area where you are vacationing while also doing a favor to the environment and your health. So get off those buses and trams and grab a two-wheeler! Here are some great reasons why you should do so.
- Enjoy nature - Most cities and towns have created bicycle paths along the prettiest locations in the area. They are usually right beside beautiful beaches, sparkling lakes, or lush forests which are definitely inaccessible by cars or buses.
- A new perspective – One advantage of riding a bike is that you can explore the area with a pedestrian’s point of view, yet can cover more distance and in quicker time than you would if you had to walk. Also, you can stop wherever you‘d like and not miss anything along the way without being trapped like you would on a bus or while sitting in traffic.
- Exercise – Biking is considered a low-impact exercise and can be a lot easier on the joints than walking long distances. It can be a lifesaver for those in your family who may be battling arthritis or any other type of joint pain.
- Burn those extra calories – We all know you are eating and drinking and eating some more while on vacation. And why wouldn’t you be? Vacations are times to indulge! So do so, but without all of the guilt weighing on your shoulders because you know that a bike ride is in your near future and soon enough, those calories will be burned off in the countryside.
- Reduce stress – Stress? On vacation?? Well, if you have kids then maybe you understand. Get the family on bikes to reduce the sibling fighting, to use up some of their endless energy, and more importantly, to clear your head. Just throw on some helmets, remind your children the rules of the road, and set out on your two-wheeled adventure.
Bicycling is an excellent way to truly enjoy your vacation and appreciate its location. It will keep you on track with your fitness goals, lift everyone’s mood, and add so many wonderful memories to your virtual scrapbook.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Peoria, Ariz.