Get a Good Night's Sleep with Back Pain
By Debra Rodzinak
Mattress designers are working closely with sleep technology experts to develop mattresses that are designed to better support the spine. What should you look for when you choose your next mattress?
Sleeping on a poorly designed mattress can make back pain worse. Two out of three people who suffer with chronic back pain are not sleeping well. The cycle of poor sleep that leads to back pain that leads to poor sleep can be reduced with the proper mattress. Check the following to ensure your mattress is the best for back support:
- Expiration date of less than seven years
- Crafted with supportive technology
- Designed with lumbar support
- Proper airflow and circulation
If your mattress is missing any of these aspects, consider investing in a new mattress.
In addition to choosing the best mattress, begin your night with a properly aligned spine. If you are suffering from back pain, let a highly qualified chiropractor evaluate and treat your spine. If the spine is not properly aligned, sleep can be disrupted and back issues can worsen.
When sleeping with back pain issues, visit The Joint Chiropractic for a gentle spinal adjustment. Then, follow these guidelines for better sleep:
- If you are a back sleeper, lie on your back with your knees slightly elevated with a pillow
- If you are a side sleeper, place the pillow between your knees
- For stomach sleepers, switch the pillow position to the stomach or hips
- Switch a firm mattress to a medium-firm mattress
Tips for Specific Back Pain
Some particular back pain issues can benefit from precise sleeping positions:
- Arthritis – Sleep in the fetal position
- Degenerative disc disease – Sleep on the stomach
- Fibromyalgia – Switch to a mattress that is less firm
- Herniated disc – Sleep on the stomach
- Hip pain – Place a pillow between the knees
- Neck pain – Choose a pillow that is flat but firm
- Spinal stenosis – Sleep on the side with knees curled up
If you are suffering from sleep issues related to back pain, come by The Joint Chiropractic for an expert evaluation from one of our highly qualified doctors of chiropractic. With extended weekday and weekend hours, finding a time for a complete evaluation based on your busy schedule is quick and easy. With no pesky insurance forms to fill out or appointment times to remember, finding a path to better sleep and back pain relief is just a walk-in away.
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic.