Pregnancy is Bliss With Good Posture!
By Donna Stark
Pregnancy is certainly an exciting time, isn't it? And if you are pregnant, there is no better time than now to focus on your health ... really focus, that is! In addition to maintaining a healthy diet, continuing to stay as physically active as you possibly can, and getting plenty of sleep and rest, you need to focus on your posture as well! So go ahead! Sit up and keep reading!
Pregnancy and Posture
If you are experiencing increased strain and discomfort while performing your everyday tasks and activities, and have noticed a change in the way you hold and carry your body, it may be time to start focusing on your posture more during this pregnancy. Here are some great tips to keep in mind throughout your days.
- Standing - Stand straight and tall with your head and eyes in a neutral position. Keep your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent (don't lock them). If you have to stand for long periods of time, take breaks or alternate resting each foot on a stool to relieve pressure.
- Sitting - Use a chair that has a straight back on it and place a small pillow behind your lower back for added support. Keep both feet flat on the ground and avoid crossing your legs. If you feel you need more support for your back, try using a footstool as well.
- Keeping your shoulders back - Pull your shoulders back so that your chest opens up, but avoid doing this in an extreme manner, as it can strain your lower back.
- Keeping your abdomen pulled in - By keeping your abdomen pulled in, you can help maintain the proper alignment of your pelvis, and just like your shoulders, don't be too extreme with this either! You want to gently pull your shoulders back and gently pull your abdomen in.
- Sleeping - Adopt the "SOS" position when sleeping. And no, it isn't a call for help in the pregnancy world, "SOS" means to "sleep on side." Using extra pillows to support your body and reduce any uncomfortable pressure is also helpful during this time too!
Better Posture, Better Health
Now that you know all the secret tips of maintaining good posture during pregnancy, it's time to incorporate them into your everyday lifestyle! By doing so, you will be able to reduce the risk of future pain and injury while improving your overall health and wellness at the same time. It sounds too good to be true, but it's not! Small changes in your posture can have significant effects on your health, which means your baby is going to get only the very the best of you from the moment you lock eyes!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Scottsdale, Ariz.