Belly Fat News that May Scare You into Action
By Sandy Schroeder
If you are already concerned about belly fat, new research findings from Mayo Clinic may spur you into action.
Dr. Jose Medina-Inojosa, of Mayo Clinic's division of preventive cardiology, said, "People with a normal weight but a fat belly have more chance of heart problems than people without a fat belly, even if they are obese according to BMI [body mass index].”
Medina-Inojosa’s study of 1,700 people, 45 and older, ran from 2000 to 2016. The ones who had a normal BMI but high levels of belly fat were about twice as likely to have a heart attack, require surgery to open blocked arteries, or die from a heart attack during the follow-up than others without belly fat.
We deposit fat first in the belly. Muscle is a much better storehouse helping to decrease fats and sugar levels in the blood. Medina-Inojosa recommends that you see your doctor for an assessment if you your belly is larger than your hips. He said having a normal BMI is not an assurance of heart health. A measurement of the belly fat area should be done. He said, "The goal should be waist loss over weight loss."
Here are some ways to take charge of belly fat.
- Sit less and move more
- Always use the stairs
- Do strength and resistance training
- Eliminate refined carbohydrates
- Eat less meat and more fruits and vegetables
- Snack on apples, yogurt, raw almonds and peanut butter
- Consider upping the fasting time between dinner and breakfast
With summer coming, none of us want to buy larger sizes as we try to ignore that belly fat bulge. Look for smart options like walking.
Make Walking a Must
This may be a great time to launch a 30-minute walking routine with the goal of walking 5,000 to 10,000 steps a day.
Get creative and think of all of the ways you could walk more.
- Walk the dog with your kids every night
- Walk around the block every morning
- Walk on breaks and after lunch daily
- Walk after work around the neighborhood or to the park
- Walk on the weekends to do errands and meet friends
- Walk while you wait to pick up your kids
- Walk at the airport when traveling
As always maintain your regular checkups, and work closely with your doctor to monitor your health numbers and take charge of your heart and overall health.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Brea, Calif.