Why You Should Consider Lunchtime Workouts
By Donna Stark
Cancelling another workout session because you don't have the time? You're not alone! Finding the time to exercise can be difficult if you can't seem to wake up early enough to do it before work or if you can't get out of work in time to do it before you head home. But that doesn't mean it's impossible. It just means you may need to be a little more creative with your workouts and you may need to turn to your lunch hour to fit them in.
Getting Your Sweat On During Lunch
Sure, working out in the middle of the day doesn't sound very appealing at first, and you may even crinkle your nose at the thought of it, but there are some really good benefits to doing so. Take a look at a few of them below.
- You can sleep in
- You will be more awake and focused
- You won't experience that dreaded afternoon slump
- You won't be exhausted after a long day at work
- You will be able to spend the evening with your family
Tips to Transition Smoothly
Still unsure about committing to lunchtime workouts? Wondering how you can make it work? Here are some tips for getting that exercise session in and not letting it ruin your day.
- Pack your bag - Mornings are hectic and chaotic so save yourself the drama by packing your workout bag the night before. It's the best way to make sure you have everything that is needed. Make sure you include your clothes, shoes, snacks, gear, and a water bottle.
- Choose your form of exercise - Whether you hit a gym, take a class, or head outside for a walk, choose what you know you'll enjoy. This will help ensure you stick to your fitness commitment.
- Wait to eat - There is nothing worse than trying to exercise just after you have eaten a big meal, so wait until you are done before you sit down for lunch. If you want a bit of extra energy, give yourself a healthy snack a couple of hours before your workout.
- Invite your coworkers - Most things are better with friends and by inviting your coworkers to join, you will also have someone else hold you accountable!
The Convenience Factor
In addition to improving your overall health and wellness, working out during lunch can also help you manage your time and schedule better. There's nothing to lose, so why not give it a try?
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Chino Hills, Calif.