Want to Decompress? Grab a Cup of Tea
By Donna Stark
Are you still looking for ways to decompress after the hectic holiday season and busy start to the new year? If so, you don't have to look any further than the tea aisle at your favorite grocery store. Whether it's a traditional English blend, a healing herbal mixture, or a trendy combination of dried fruit and green tea leaves, a cup of hot tea is the way to go! And there's no better time than now to grab one because January is National Hot Tea Month!
Types of Tea
With an endless number of varieties, you really can't go wrong when it comes time to choose the flavor of tea you would like to drink. From lavender to chamomile to peppermint to chai, you could potentially choose a tea for every one of your moods. You can also choose to drink it hot, at room temperature, or ice-cold if you would like! The flavors of tea are often based on the region of their origin and the type of leaves being used. White teas are favored by many because they are the least processed, black teas are the most common, and green teas are often chosen because they contain less caffeine.
Benefits of Tea
You also can't go wrong with tea when it comes time to improve your overall health and wellness. Take a look at a few of the benefits you will get by filling and refilling your cup with tea throughout the day.
- Reduces fatigue and enhances work performance
- Supports cardiovascular health
- Helps manage blood pressure
- Increased metabolism
- Reduces the risk of stroke and certain cancers
- Lowers stress levels
- Fights nausea
- Induces comfort and relaxation
- Contains less caffeine than coffee
Incorporating Tea Into Your Life
Whether you like to be alone or prefer to hang out with others, there are many ways you can enjoy a hot (or cold) cup of tea. Here are some great suggestions on how you can add more tea-drinking moments into your life.
- Share with loved ones - Call your friends, invite them over, and put the pot on the stove! Connecting with loved ones over a pot of tea is a great way to nurture the important relationships in your life.
- Try something new - Feel like you are in a tea rut? Search for interesting flavors of tea and try something new. You may even end up with a new favorite.
- Join a class - Many tea houses offer classes on how to select the best tea and mix your own, so try to find one near you. You won't be disappointed!
Put Down That Coffee
The next time you want to drink something other than water, turn your attention to the one beverage that can soothe your soul and heal your body. Grab a cup of tea and drink as much as you can!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Chino Hills, Calif.