Achieving the Mediterranean Lifestyle With Food
By Donna Stark
By now you have probably heard a lot about the Mediterranean diet, but did you know it really isn't a diet at all? It's more about a lifestyle that focuses not only on the food but how you eat it as well. If you want to improve your overall well-being, this style of life is the way to go. It emphasizes fresh, healthy food that is eaten as close to its natural form as possible. Interested in getting started? Keep reading for some ideas on what to add to your meals.
Foods to Incorporate
The biggest attraction to the Mediterranean diet is its health benefits. Foods that are included have been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Plus, they are great for the skin! Take a look at some of the foods you should be adding to your diet.
- Fruits and vegetables - At the very least, you should be aiming for at least eight servings a day of fruits and vegetables. Plan your meals with plenty of tomatoes, broccoli, kale, spinach, cucumbers, apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries, grapes, dates, figs, and melons.
- Seafood - If there is one type of food that stands out from the rest, it's fish. Seafood is the superstar of the Mediterranean lifestyle. Choose grilled salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, and trout, and avoid anything deep-fried.
- Whole grains - Whole grains are another mainstay of the Mediterranean diet. Switch to whole-grain bread, pitas, and pasta, and don't be afraid to try new recipes that include brown rice, quinoa, and couscous.
- Legumes - You can't partake in the Mediterranean diet without some legumes, such as beans, chickpeas, and lentils in your pantry. After all, hummus is one of the most popular things to eat, so stock up!
- Healthy fats - Last of all, you have to include those healthy fats! Olives and olive oil are a must for eating, dipping, and cooking! Toss a variety of olives on the table and keep your oil handy because it can be used for salad dressings, main dishes, and even desserts!
Achieving the Mediterranean Lifestyle
As you can see, the Mediterranean lifestyle is easy to achieve with food. Now, all you need to do is find the time for your loved ones and some daily physical activity. Improving your overall health and wellness has never been easier or tastier to do, so start today! After feeling and looking better than you ever have before, you will wish you had made these changes sooner!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Citrus Heights, Calif.