Foods to Help You Feel Full
By Sara Butler
Living a healthy lifestyle involves a lot of things. How much exercise you get, how much you sleep, and what you eat are all important factors that contribute to your health and overall wellness. Yet some of the biggest challenges seem to center around the things you eat each day. Some foods can be tough to resist and the hungrier you grow, the more likely you are to eat whatever is around. If you want to get serious about eating healthy, then there are certain foods you should ditch and certain foods you should get more of to feel fuller for longer.
Snack Choices that Leave You Hungrier
One of the most important things about the food you eat is how full it helps you to feel in the long run. Some foods will satisfy you only in the short term and leave you scrounging around for another snack again too soon. A few foods that won’t stick with you include:
- Juice – Juice may have vitamins and minerals but it doesn’t have any fiber, and the fiber is the part of the fruit that will help you to feel full. Juice isn’t any more satisfying than a soda – it’s just sugar in a cup and will likely leave you feeling tired and hungry.
- Fast food – The drive-thru sure can be tempting when you’re on your way home, but if don’t want to eat more later you should probably forego fast food and all its trans fats, artificial ingredients, and salt. You’ll probably just feel sluggish when you’re done.
- Salty snacks – Chips and pretzels may seem like a good idea, but they often lead to mindless munching that loads you up on salt and calories. Most salty snacks are highly processed and don’t contain the fiber needed to help you feel full in the long run.
Snack on This
There are foods that will help you to feel fuller for longer. A few go-to snacks to consider include:
- Popcorn – Pop it yourself on the stovetop and you can control the fat, salt, and added calories in this whole grain snack.
- Greek yogurt – Get plain Greek yogurt and add some berries. This punch of protein will fill you up.
- Avocado – The fiber and healthy fats in avocado will keep you feeling satisfied.
- Eggs – Eggs are possibly the perfect food. They’re full of protein and various vitamins and minerals that will help you squash hunger.
It's important to eat foods that leave you satisfied. So make sure to add some of these to your list!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Mission Viejo, Calif.