Using Chiropractic Care for Hypertension
When it comes to health issues, there are an abundance that may arise as we become older in age. While it is important to keep a healthy and active lifestyle, genetics may cause us to be more susceptible to certain disease and conditions. High blood pressure, or hypertension may be a serious condition if left untreated.
What is hypertension?
Hypertension involves your heart and the amount of blood that is being pumped from it. If you or someone you know is suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure) this simply means that your heart is pumping more blood within narrow arteries. This type of health condition is serious in that it may cause more serious health problems down the road.
Symptoms of Hypertension
It is important to be aware of the possible symptoms that may arise from hypertension. While all symptoms vary depending on each individual, it is important to note that for some it may take years for symptoms to appear.
Possible symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Severe headaches
Health problems from Hypertension
If hypertension goes on without treatment, there are a few health problems that may arise. These health problems may include the possibility of a heart attack and/or a stroke.
The causes of hypertension
There are two types of hypertension and both have their own causes.
Primary hypertension is a type of high blood pressure that gradually occurs over a long period of time (normally a few years).
Secondary hypertension may appear as primary but in fact has been caused by another existing health condition and the medication that is being taken for that condition. The types of conditions that may cause secondary hypertension include:
- Kidney problems
- Throid issues
- Medications such as birth control, cold medications and pain relievers
- Sleep apnea
- Alcohol abuse
Who is at risk?
There are certain factors that makes certain people at a potentially higher risk of developing hypertension. These include: age, race, family history and weight.
- Those that are over the age 45 are more inclined to develop hypertension as it is more common as you become older.
- African American's are more prone to developing hypertension.
- It is very important that you are aware of your family history, as this type of health condition runs in families and you are more prone to developing if those close in your genes also suffers from this condition.
- If you are overweight¸ this may make you more susceptible to developing hypertension. This is because your heart is working harder to pump blood, which causes strain on your arteries.
Chiropractic Care: Treatment options
If you are looking for treatment options to help with lowering your blood pressure and preventing the possibility of developing hypertension, using chiropractic treatment is an option. The adjustments that would be used in treatment are: atlas adjustment of the C-1 vertebra. This type of adjustment was used during a study that was exploring the use of chiropractic care for those suffering from hypertension. This type of adjustment has been suggested that it has direct relationship with the flow of blood to the arteries and may help with improving this flow to the arteries.