How Chiropractic Care Can Help With Inflammation
By Emily Lindholm
Chronic inflammation is an issue in today's world that affects millions of Americans. Many factors can cause chronic inflammation, including diet, stress, and lack of sleep. It occurs when the body produces an inflammatory response that is stronger than what is actually necessary. The immune system begins to attack healthy tissue. This can lead to autoimmune disorders, such as Crohn's disease, multiple sclerosis, and other conditions.
The good news: there are many ways to reduce inflammation. Diet, exercise, and getting the proper amount of sleep are all ways that can reduce inflammation. Take it one step further, did you know that chiropractic care can help with reducing chronic inflammation?
How Does Chiropractic Care Help Inflammation?
Chiropractic care is designed to manipulate the spine in a way that aligns not just the vertebrae, but in turn, it promotes a healthy nervous system. Our nerves can get "out of whack" when our joints are not properly aligned, which can contribute to inflammation. When we receive alignments and adjustments from a chiropractor, our nerves begin to function as they should.
How to Know if You are Experiencing Inflammation
Many people experience inflammation and don't realize what it is. So many people experience inflammation, the symptoms often go unaddressed and brushed off as daily life complaints. Everyone deserves to feel at their best. Try speaking to a chiropractor if you're experiencing the following symptoms:
- Chronic fatigue
- Persistent aches and pains in the muscles and joints
- Chronic infections, such as sinus infections or others
- Chronic indigestion
The Knowledge of a Chiropractor
Many people aren't aware of the extensive education a chiropractor receives. Chiropractors must earn a doctor of chiropractic degree and a state license, which typically takes four years to complete. Prior to that, they must complete three years of undergraduate college classes to be admitted.
Chiropractors contain a wealth of knowledge, and you can absolutely receive advice from your chiropractor on the following:
- Diet- Ask your chiropractor about an anti-inflammatory diet, which is necessary to help keep the inflammation down. They may suggest cutting out certain inflammatory foods, such as dairy and processed sugars. They can also suggest certain foods that you can incorporate that will be beneficial.
- Stress management - Your chiropractor can help you manage your stress levels by showing you some techniques and directing you to the right places, such as suggesting certain types of meditation and breathing.
- Exercise - Not only can your chiropractor suggest an exercise regimen that can benefit you, but they can also show you certain exercises to do at home that will help to keep your adjustments in place.
When it comes to inflammation, chiropractic and its principles can help.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in San Diego, Calif.