Take the Right Precautions This Holiday Season
By Donna Stark
It's certainly hard to enjoy all of the season's festivities when you or someone you love gets sick or hurt, isn't it? And as much as we all try to stay well during this busy time of year, the hustle and bustle of the season can definitely shake things up. From lighting your tree safely to remembering your medication, staying on top of your overall health and safety is vital, which is why it is so important to take some extra precautions. So, whether they apply to you or not, check out the following suggestions below. It might save you an extra headache or two this holiday season.
Decorating Your Home
- Whether you go all out and light the entire neighborhood with your holiday display or you stick to a sprig of mistletoe at your front door, there are some things to consider when decorating for the holidays. Check them out.
- If you have little ones running around, avoid decorations that are sharp, breakable, or that can easily be swallowed
- Avoid candles and use the battery-operated ones instead
- Use holiday lights that have been tested for safety and be sure to turn them off when you go to bed or leave the house
- Make sure your live tree is fresh and check the water level daily or choose an artificial tree that is fire resistant
- Keep your tree out of pathways and never place it near a fireplace
Dealing With Allergies
Allergies can often strike at the worst times, so it's important to be fully prepared for an attack. Take a look at the following tips.
- Make sure you understand what your triggers are
- Do not leave home without your medication and always pack it in your carry-on
- Carry an extra Epi-pen during travels
- Advise those you are staying with of all your allergies and provide an emergency protocol if needed
Dealing with your everyday stress is hard enough, but when you add the holidays to the mix, it can seem downright impossible! Here are some suggestions on how to make life easier during this time of year.
- Delegate, delegate, delegate
- Shop online
- Allow yourself time to take a break
- Maintain a consistent sleep schedule and a healthy diet
- Plan and schedule your days
Enjoying the Holidays
There is no reason why the holidays can't go off without a hitch and there should definitely be no reason for any emergency room visits. With some proper planning and some good judgment calls, keeping yourself and everyone else safe, healthy, and happy couldn't be any easier!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Temecula, Calif.