Chiropractic Care for Your Resilient Child
By Donna Stark
Children often appear resilient to many of their life circumstances, but the idea that they can quickly bounce back might not be as true as we think when it comes to overuse injuries. As more and more children participate in sports, and the age of that participation continues to drop, the risk of overuse injuries increases significantly. Unfortunately, it’s our children who are more prone to overuse injuries than anybody else because their bodies are still in the process of growing. But that doesn’t mean you need to keep them locked up in your home away from the sport they love. There are ways to help reduce the risk of these types of injuries and the best way to do so is to have your child see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic regularly.
What is an Overuse Injury?
Overuse injuries are caused by the repetitive motions that place stress on the bones, muscles, and joints. If your child plays a sport, the most important way to help them avoid these types of injuries is to teach them how to listen to their bodies and to understand the factors that can contribute to problems and pain for years to come. Let’s take a look at some of the factors that lead to overuse injuries.
- Having poor endurance or lack of conditioning
- Using equipment improperly
- Training, playing, and competing with poor technique
- Having a previous injury or returning to practice before a full recovery
- Focusing all efforts on one, and only one, sport
- Being involved in extremely demanding sports and training programs
- Overlooking or not prioritizing injury prevention training
Overuse injuries can affect your child’s muscles, ligaments, tendons, bones, and growth plates. The symptoms of a possible overuse injury are pain, tenderness, decreased range of motion, numbness, and loss of strength.
How Does a Chiropractor Help?
By getting regular chiropractic care, you can help to reduce the chance of overuse injuries from happening and minimize the length of recovery time for your child. Chiropractic care is a safe and all-natural approach to injury treatment and improved health. Take a look at how it can help.
- Supports proper alignment of the body to reduce the risk of injury
- Improves flexibility which provides an increased range of motion
- Helps patients regain their strength and mobility
- Provides pain relief without the use of medication/invasive treatments
The Resilient Child
Kids will always appear to be resilient, especially if the thought of sitting out from their favorite sport feels like the end of the world to them, but as parents, we need to know better. We also need to do better. Fortunately, you have your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic on your side when it comes to your child’s health. With more than 400 locations nationwide, it’s easy to fit in a visit between all of the training, practices, and games. So bring your child in today!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in West Sacramento, Calif.