How to Create a Successful Fitness Plan
By Sara Butler
Starting a new fitness program can be overwhelming – but it doesn’t need to be! If you arm yourself with the proper tools, then it can be a breeze to start something new. After all, committing to getting in shape is the biggest obstacle to overcome and you’ve already done that. To be successful with your new fitness plan, you should abide by this list of dos and don’ts.
What You Should Do
Getting started with a new fitness plan can be easier than you think. You should:
- Write down your goals – You’ll stick with a program once you have specific goals to reach along the way.
- Assess your current fitness – This is your moment to take a realistic look at how fit you are and what you’d like to change. This will help you to form better, more specific fitness goals that truly address your fitness needs.
- Talk to your healthcare provider – Have a discussion with your doctor or chiropractor about whether or not you’re healthy enough to embark on this ambitious plan. If you struggle with a health condition such as obesity, this is an especially important step.
- Drink lots of water – You need to stay hydrated to keep your body healthy as you increase your activity level.
- Diversify – Don’t do the same routine every single day. Instead, try to change up what you do so you don’t burn out.
- Start small – You should aim for about 10 to 15 minutes of exercise at the beginning, slowly increasing each week.
What You Shouldn’t Do
There are a few don’ts when it comes to fitness. These include:
- Overtrain – Working out every single day won’t get you where you want to go faster; in fact, it might set you back. Give your body proper time to recover between workouts.
- Forget breakfast – When you’re active you need to fuel your body properly, so eat breakfast, don’t skip it!
- Doing too much – You’re enthusiastic and that’s awesome, but don’t try to do too much right out of the gate. You must slowly increase your activity level or you could get burned out or injured.
- Skip proper sleep – Rest and rejuvenation are important components of fitness, so make sure you’re getting enough good quality sleep at night. The good news is that it should be much easier to do when you’re getting more exercise!
A proper fitness plan is one that is exciting and easy to maintain -- so find something you love and just go with it!
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Arvada, Colo.