Beautiful Skin is Your Best Summer Accessory
By Donna Stark
Finally, warmer days have arrived and this means we can start to bare more skin. There is nothing better than the change of seasons from winter to spring, cold to warm, and clouds to sunshine. So pull out those shorts, skirts, and short-sleeved tees and tuck away all of your pants and sweaters because now is the time to shine! But before you head outdoors for some fun in the sun, make sure your dry winter skin is ready to make its grand debut!
Take your skin care routine to the next level with these tips that will help to keep it looking invigorated and fresh … the perfect accessory to that perfect summer outfit.
- Stay hydrated - Drinking plenty of water is the best way to improve the conditions of your skin. If your skin is not getting a sufficient amount, it can become dry, tight, and flaky and nobody likes the look of that. Dry skin also has less resilience and is more prone to wrinkling, so learn to make a habit of sipping water throughout your day.
- Moisturize - Warm summer days are definitely the time to switch to less greasy formulas, from creams to lotions, from oil-based to water-based products. And definitely make sure that your moisturizer has sunscreen properties to it as well for added protection.
- Munch on fruit and veggies - There are certain foods that naturally contain more water content than others. Watermelon, strawberries, grapefruit, and peaches are just a few examples of fruit with a high water content, and cucumbers, zucchini, radish, and celery are perfect options for vegetables. Orange and yellow veggies, like sweet potatoes, carrots, and sweet peppers are also great for your skin due to the antioxidant beta-carotene.
- Add omega-3s - Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for healthy skin because they help regulate oil production, which keeps your skin hydrated and prevents it from appearing dry and flaky. They also contain antioxidants that help protect your skin from sun damage. You can find these fatty acids in delicious foods such as salmon, walnuts, and edamame.
- Exfoliate - Exfoliating is a quick, easy way to give your skin an instant boost that leaves your complexion glowing. As the body ages, its ability to create new layers of skin slows down. Exfoliating helps this process by lifting and removing the dead skin cells, thereby encouraging the skin to replenish itself.
- Toss out that bar of soap - Make sure the soap you are using isn't sucking the moisture out of your skin. Try using a natural soap made with natural oils or choose a creamy cleanser that infuses moisture into the skin.
Summer is a busy time of the year and I am sure your calendar is already starting to fill up with graduation parties, weddings, and holiday parties. So step out with confidence and show off that beautiful skin of yours.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Arvada, Colo.