Healthy Spine 101: A Lesson for Summer
By Donna Stark
Class is in session! Oh wait. Did you think school was out by now? Well hold on, we’ve got one more lesson to go over before you ditch the books for summertime barbeques. This lesson covers one of the most important subjects regarding the health of your body … your spine. It’s important because a healthy spine is the foundation of a healthy life. Knowing how to care for it is vital for people of all ages, and the best person to help you with that is your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic.
Healthy Spine 101
Staying on top of your spinal health is a critical component to improving your overall wellness and living a healthy lifestyle. Here are some simple tips on how to do so.
- Focus on posture - Maintaining good posture helps to keep the body’s bones and joints in correct alignment and reduces the risk of any abnormal wear-and-tear. When standing, remember to keep your shoulders and head back and your knees slightly bent. If you are sitting, sit straight and tall, keep your shoulders from slouching forward, and keep both feet on the ground.
- Stretch - Stretching helps to reduce tension in your spine, relaxes your muscles, and improves flexibility. It is also helpful for reducing back pain as well. Make sure to stretch every day, but especially before and after your workouts to receive all of the health benefits that come from it.
- Build your core strength - A strong core helps your spine stay healthy by protecting the lower back and shielding it from overuse, injuries, and muscles strains. Strengthening these muscles can also help to encourage proper spinal alignment and improve your posture as well.
- Choose a healthy lifestyle - Choosing healthy habits like daily exercise, a nutritious diet, quality sleep routines, and regular chiropractic treatments are essential to maintaining a healthy spine. The adjustments that your local chiropractor provides removes any nerve interferences and places your spine in its proper alignment.
- Listen to your body’s pain signals - Pain is your body's way of telling you that something isn't right and that the problem needs to be fixed, but many people just choose to deal with it, hoping that the pain will go away on its own, or take medication to mask the pain. Listen to your body when it chooses to give you signs of pain or discomfort and see your local chiropractor for help right away.
You Deserve an “A”
Well, this lesson is officially over and you’ve passed! Enjoy your summer vacation and be sure to follow these tips for a healthy spine … and ultimately a healthier body! If you need any follow-up on what you have learned here, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic. They are eager to get you on the path to optimal health.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Arvada, Colo.