Beating the Winter Blues With Chiropractic Care
By Donna Stark
Are you feeling tired, less energized, and more down than usual? Do you have trouble concentrating and finding joy during your days? If your moods are starting to be as dreary as the weather is outside, you may be suffering from seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, a type of depression that occurs with the change in seasons. But just as easy as the change in seasons can affect your moods, you can make some simple lifestyle changes to start feeling better, and one of those changes may include seeing your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic regularly.
Get a Jump on Those Blues
Before we begin, it's important to know that you are not alone. There are so many others that feel the same way you do but fortunately, there are some steps you can take that will help you feel better in no time, no matter how dreary the weather or your mood is. Let's take a look at a few of them here.
- Get adjusted - Chiropractic care is designed to help relieve many of the symptoms that are common in people who struggle with seasonal affective disorder, such as muscle tension, fatigue, and stress. They can also improve a patient's quality of sleep, energy levels, immune system, and cognitive function.
- Socialize - When you are feeling down, make it a point to connect with loved ones. Loneliness can easily exacerbate your depression, so make the effort and get that boost you need by finding your support and sharing a few laughs.
- Invite the sun in - Stop living in the dark! Open up your blinds, position your desk near a window, or if possible, add skylights to your home. The extra bit of sunlight you can get by doing so can make a world of difference.
- Go outside - Any amount of sunlight can help, so take a walk during the day, eat your lunch outdoors, or simply sit on a bench and soak up the sun. It's especially beneficial if you spend some time outside within the first two hours of waking up in the morning.
- Exercise regularly - Stress and anxiety can increase the symptoms of seasonal affective disorder, and the best way to relieve both of them is to exercise! Nearly every type of physical activity will do, so just get up and start moving! All you need is 30 minutes a day.
Dark mornings, gray days, and even darker nights can wreak havoc on your life during winter, but with some simple changes to your lifestyle and regular chiropractic care, sunnier days are right around the corner. So come on in to The Joint Chiropractic today and beat those winter blues.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Arvada, Colo.