Go Ahead, Throw Some Epsom Salt Into Your Bath!
By Donna Stark
It's sad to know your bag of Epsom salt has been relegated to the far back corner of your bathroom cabinet and that nobody in the family knows it even exists. It's sad because Epsom salt should be celebrated for everything it can do instead of being hidden away and kept from the light of day. So, what exactly can it do? Well, there are many different ways you can use it, but for the sake of time, let's just take a look at the incredible health benefits it can bring to you and your family.
Health Benefits of Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is one of those all-natural wonders that everyone should take advantage of. It's a safe, inexpensive, and easy-to-find source of two essential minerals, magnesium and sulfate. Here are some of the ways that Epsom salt baths can impact your body.
- Pain relief - Add to your warm bath to alleviate sore muscles, ease joint stiffness, and reduce inflammation and swelling
- Foot comfort - A proper Epsom salt foot bath will comfort your tired and swollen feet
- Exfoliation - Add a pinch to your favorite body cleanser to help exfoliate and soften your skin
- Splinter removal - Mix with warm water and soak the area of your body where the splinter is for easier removal
- Bug bites - Get relief from the itchiness by mixing it with water and dabbing it on those bug bites
- Mild sunburn - Epsom salt mixed with water and spritzed on mild sunburn will take away some of the heat
- Post-workout relief - An Epsom bath can reduce the risk of muscle cramps and post-workout aches
- Nerve calmer-downer - Soaking in Epsom can improve moods, reduce stress and anxiety, and decrease the risk of depression
- Sleep quality - Epsom salt helps the body relax, which in turn, will help improve the quality of your sleep
How to Use Epsom Salt
Now that you know all the amazing health benefits that come from using Epsom salt, you might be left wondering how to use it? Simply fill your tub up with warm water, follow the directions on the package to know how much to add, and let it dissolve. You may need to swirl the water around a bit for that to happen, but once it does, hop in! Soak your body for about 20 minutes, rinse off, and shower. The most ideal time to take your Epsom salt bath is right before bed, so plan accordingly!
Blissful Benefits Are Heading Your Way
There is one last thing you should know before you pull that bag out from under your sink or head out the door to buy more. Make sure the Epsom salt you use is high-quality and pure. You can do so by checking the labels before you throw it in your cart! Now, go ahead and start running that bath. You certainly won't regret it!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Denver, Colo.