Can Chiropractic Care Help Your Acid Reflux?
By Sara Butler
If you suffer from acid reflux, you know it’s not fun at all. When you eat a meal, different things can cause the acid in your stomach to travel up toward the throat. This can cause a burning sensation that can be made worse by lying down. Here’s how your chiropractor may be able to help if you suffer from acid reflux.
The Causes of Acid Reflux
Acid reflux is also referred to as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). When you have this condition for a prolonged period, it can lead to damage to your esophagus, and even cause cancer in some people. It’s a serious condition that can go beyond just a little discomfort.
The causes of acid reflux include:
- A hiatal hernia – If your stomach pushes through a hole in your diaphragm called the hiatus, it’s called a hiatal hernia. If this happens, the stomach can press up against part of the esophagus, causing food and stomach acid to back up and cause acid reflux.
- Obesity – Excess fat puts pressure on the stomach and promotes the flow of acid from the stomach into the esophagus.
- Poor diet – If you consume a lot of fatty foods or spicy foods, it can cause acid reflux.
- Pregnancy – With another human being growing inside you and pushing on your organs, you can often experience acid reflux during pregnancy.
A few other things often linked to acid reflux include:
- Poor posture
- Some medications
The Symptoms of Acid Reflux
If you experience the following, you may have acid reflux:
- Acidic taste in your mouth
- Chest pain
- A feeling of a blocked esophagus
- A feeling like you’re choking or your throat is blocked
- Inability to swallow
- Burning sensation
How Your Chiropractor Can Help
You chiropractor believes that a spine and body free from dysfunction and restriction is a body that can function optimally. Your chiropractor can help treat your acid reflux by helping you to:
- Manage a healthy weight
- Taking stress off the joints and spine to help take pressure off of nerves
- Strengthening the spinal muscles through adjustments, which help to relieve pressure from the stomach
- Correcting joint dysfunctions or restrictions that can help ensure proper function of the whole body
If you’re really struggling with the discomfort of acid reflux, discuss it with your chiropractor the next time you’re at The Joint Chiropractic!
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic.