Fatty Foods You Need in Your Diet
By Sara Butler
Fat is vital to the proper functioning of your body. It may have a bad reputation, but including the right kinds of fats in your diet helps your body to have energy, keep hormones in check, keep you feeling full, absorb vitamins, and protect your internal organs. The trick to eating the right kind of fat is to understand that not all fats are created equal. Here are some facts you should make sure are a part of your diet for your continued health and wellness.
What Kind of Fat is Best?
Trans fat and saturated fats are the kind of fats you should endeavor to steer away from. These fats raise your bad cholesterol -- which is bad for your cardiovascular system. These kinds of fats are found mostly in meat, processed foods, and dairy.
The types of fat you should be pursuing are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. These fats work to lower blood pressure, keep bad cholesterol in check, protect your heart, and improve your body’s sensitivity to insulin. Omega-3 fatty acids are a good example of a polyunsaturated fat that is really good for your health -- found in fatty fish and other foods.
Fatty Foods You Need
So what kinds of fats are the best? Make sure to include these in your diet to reap the benefits:
- Olive oil – Loaded with monounsaturated fat, this oil is really good for you. You can use it in baked goods or to make your own (healthier) salad dressing.
- Pistachios – Nuts like this one are mostly made up of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat, so it makes them the perfect snack. They’re also full of protein and fiber to help you feel fuller for longer.
- Pumpkin seeds – These seeds are extraordinarily good for you because they’re loaded with healthy fats as well as protein, omega-6 fatty acids, magnesium, and fiber.
- Salmon – You really can’t go wrong with salmon. Try including it in your diet twice a week for a punch of omega-3 fatty acids that help improve your heart health.
- Avocados – Avocados are a fruit and happen to be the only fruit full of healthy fats. They also have antioxidants, fiber, and a variety of vitamins and minerals to help keep you healthy.
Make healthy fats a part of your life and reap the health awards that go along with it.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Greenwood Village, Colo.