Staying Fit and Healthy During Fall
By Donna Stark
There is so much to like about the fall season that it’s no wonder people get so excited when it finally rolls around. For some, it’s all about football, and for others, it’s all about the pumpkin spice. But for me? Well, let’s just take the time to talk about my favorite Cs of fall … colors, cider, and cooler temps. I think many people will agree that those three are huge components of this season, but I am not sure if they associate them with health and fitness as I do. So take a look at what I am talking about and then see for yourself how this is the perfect season for great health!
There’s just something about the season of falling leaves and cooler temperatures that makes everyone happy, but let’s get back to those three Cs and how you can become healthier by doing so. Take a look.
Color - Take advantage of this special time during the year and head outdoors to experience Mother Nature’s masterpiece. Stay fit while appreciating the changing colors of the leaves by:
- Raking - Raking leaves can truly be a full-body workout and will help build strength in your legs, core, shoulders, and arms.
- Hiking - In addition to boosting your mood, hiking will also give you a great workout by strengthening your legs, core, and lower back.
Cider - OK, this may be a stretch with saying it will improve your health and fitness, but stick with me here. Cider, in this instance, is the end goal, the prize shall I say after partaking in the following healthy events:
- Farmers market - Spend the morning getting your exercise in and picking up locally grown produce at your local farmers market. Just don’t forget the cider! After all, that’s really why you are there in the first place.
- Apple orchard - Instead of going to the boring grocery store for your week’s supply of apples, why don’t you head to an apple orchard and pick your own? It might even cause you to work up a sweat, and … there’s cider at the end!
Cooler Temps - Well, this is easy to associate with health and fitness because with the cooler temps, you may be more likely to go outside and exercise! But don’t forget the fun with:
- Corn Mazes - Depending on how good your sense of direction is, this may be a short amount of exercise, but if you are like me, it could turn into a couple of hours of walking.
- Bike riding - The crisp fall air is perfect for a family bike ride and if you do so on the trails in a park, you may be able to catch a glimpse of the beautiful leaves as well!
Can’t Get Any Better
The hot summer sun has long lost its appeal and by now, people are craving something new. New scenery, new activities, new flavors … fall sure does deliver, doesn’t it? So go on! Head outdoors and celebrate!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Littleton, Colo.