How to Garden Without Getting Into Trouble
By Sandy Schroeder
As soon as the leaves begin to green, most of us have the urge to get outside. If you are a gardener, you may have plants in mind and seeds to buy. If you love a perfect lawn, you may be ready to fire up the mower. But before you pull on your work gloves, you might want to check in with The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you to log in some wellness prep.
Gardening and lawn work can be good for the body if you are ready for all of the pushing, twisting, and bending. Your chiropractor can do a spinal wellness check and provide some good advice on stretching and warming up.
After a winter by the fire, most of us could use a checkup of the back, upper legs, shoulders, and wrists.
An adjustment to evaluate spinal and joint health, may relieve any pain that you have, and create an overall sense of wellness with more energy, mental clarity, and better sleep.
Ongoing weekly 15-minute adjustments could keep you in shape all summer long. Your chiropractor can also monitor any painful twinges that come up when you are gardening and suggest some good stretches.
Make every stretch gradual and stop whenever there is pain.
- One Leg Balance – Stand on one leg and grab the heel of the other leg. Pull the heel toward your bottom and hold for 10 seconds. Switch legs and repeat.
- Seated Stretch – Extend your leg out keeping the knee straight. Put your heel on a step and lean forward until you feel the stretch. Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat.
- Lean and Weave – Stand tall, raise your arms above your head and weave your hands together as you lean side to side.
Lawn Work Tips
Here are some tips for when you're working out in the yard.
- Bend at the knees, not the waist, when you handle equipment or pick up leaves.
- Wear a hat, gloves, covered toe shoes with good support, and protective glasses.
- Make sure all equipment has a strap and use it. Switch equipment from side to side to lessen the strain.
- Take frequent breaks, drink water before and during work, and don’t try to finish everything in one session.
The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you is ready when you are. Stop by to find out how simple it can be. Nationwide, the Joint Chiropractic has over 370 clinics seeing over 3 million patient visits annually. An affordable care package eliminates the need for insurance. Weekend and evening hours are available, and walk-in visits are welcome. No appointments are needed.
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic.