Using Olive Oil Around the House
By Donna Stark
I like to use the least amount of things for what I need to accomplish each and every day, so if there is a product that has multiple uses, I buy it. It's for this reason that I love extra virgin olive oil so much. You may have heard that olive oil can be used for several purposes other than cooking, but I bet you haven't considered exactly how many purposes there are. That golden liquid that is sitting in your pantry right now, the one that is the star in your kitchen, can actually be a star throughout your entire home! In fact, you will probably want to start buying it in bulk!
Other Uses for Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not implying that you rummage through your house and throw everything out right away, but these suggestions may give you some ideas on what you can eventually replace. Take a look at some of the unique ways you can use extra virgin olive oil in places other than the kitchen.
- Makeup remover - Extra virgin olive oil is a gentle and effective way to remove your makeup. Place a few drops in the palm of your hand and simply rub over the spots that need to be cleaned, then clean it off with a wet washcloth.
- Lip exfoliator - Stop spending all of your hard-earned money on lip exfoliators and make your own! Simply mix some sugar with a little bit of olive oil, apply to your lips, and look forward to smoother, more kissable lips!
- Furniture cleaner - Forget those waxy sprays and use something more natural. Apply some extra virgin oil to a clean cloth and shine your furniture up in no time!
- Cat care - If you have cats that cough up their fair share of hairballs, extra virgin olive oil may be able to help. Check with your veterinarian first, and after you get the OK, add about a teaspoon to help prevent this problem.
- Baseball gear - Want to restore your dry, aged baseball glove? Just dab some extra virgin olive oil to a cloth and rub it in those dry areas on the glove. After letting it sit for 30 minutes, wipe off the excess and head on out to the field!
- Squeaky hinges - A squeaky door hinge is the worst if you are trying to sneak out of a napping baby's bedroom, so bring some silence to the room with extra virgin olive oil. It's easy too! Just dab some onto a cloth and wipe it onto those squeaky parts!
All Around the House
As you can see, extra virgin olive oil can be used in more places around the house than just the kitchen. So grab an extra bottle or two the next time you are at the store and put it to use!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Wheaton, Ill.