How to Make Your Summertime Meals Healthier
By Donna Stark
Do you give all your attention to the start of the new year when it comes to making changes to your daily diet plan? Well, in case you didn't know, summer is a great time to make some changes too! Produce is at its peak in freshness, the grill is beckoning all the steaks, chicken, and fish sitting in your freezer, and your new summer outfits are ready to be shown off! This is the perfect time to modify your meal plans and the easiest way to do so is to follow the tips below from the chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic. Take a look at what they have to suggest.
Support Your Local Farmers
If the hotter weather has you craving loads of fresh vegetables and sweet summer fruit, head on over to your local farmers market and pick some up! There you will find the freshest items of the season and maybe even some that you have never heard of before. Don't be shy to ask those selling for samples and ideas on how to serve the items you choose.
Skip the Cooking
With the rising temperatures and high humidity levels, no one wants to be stuck in the kitchen cooking all day, right? So go ahead and take advantage of those delicious items you purchased at the farmers market by finding some no-bake recipes to use them in. Here are some ideas.
- Yogurt parfaits - Top your favorite Greek yogurt with some berries and homemade granola
- Salads - Load your greens with fresh vegetables, such as cucumber, tomatoes, and avocado, and top them off with some fruit, seeds, or nuts
- Chilled soup - If you are looking for a way to use all those tomatoes you bought, make yourself a batch of gazpacho
Cool Down With Refreshing Beverages
Don't forget to balance your lighter meals with some refreshing (and healthy!) beverages. Of course, you can always stick with water, but if you want to tickle your taste buds, try these ideas instead.
- Infuse still or sparkling water with fruit, vegetables, and mint
- Blend different combinations of fruits and vegetables together for summertime slushies
- Brew a gallon or two of homemade green tea
Indulge in Healthier Desserts
You could be in trouble if your cravings for sweets increase as fast as the temperatures rise, but not if you choose your desserts wisely! Here are some suggestions on how to make some healthy swaps.
- Choose sorbet over ice cream
- Skip the candy and eat frozen grapes
- Ignore the pies and cakes and fill a bowl with fresh fruit
Summertime Changes to Your Diet
Don't sit around waiting for the next year to arrive. With some simple changes to your diet during the summer months, you can continue to stay on track for a healthier body and life!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Wheaton, Ill.