Chiropractic Care for Winter Risks
By Donna Stark
Fresh snow, twinkling lights, holiday decorations. There are so many beautiful sights that the winter season brings, but there is one sight that is never pretty to see, and that is you. On your couch. Cringing with discomfort. If you have ever experienced pain or injury while performing a wintertime activity, or by simply walking on an icy sidewalk, you know what I mean. From your shoulders to your back to your joints to your bottom, if you aren't careful during these next few months, you may end up hurting one of these body parts. The good news though, is that with a little preventative care from The Joint Chiropractic and some preventative strategies on your own, you may be able to sit back and enjoy the beauty of winter pain-free!
Winter weather can bring a ton of potential risks for injury, and although you may have already experienced a few here and there throughout your life, let's take a quick look at the most common causes of pain during this season.
- Falling because you lost your footing on the ice or snow
- Straining your muscles or throwing out your back while shoveling snow or scraping ice
- Injuring your joints while participating in winter sports and activities
Injuries from shoveling snow and slips and falls are the leading causes of winter injuries, but there are some steps you can take that will help keep yourself and your loved ones safe. Check them out below.
- Clear snow and ice from pathways as soon as possible. Use salt or sand as an extra layer of protection.
- Use the proper technique while shoveling. Bend at your knees, shovel smaller amounts, and avoid any unnecessary twisting.
- Wear shoes with plenty of traction and grip. Purchase removable spikes if ice is in the picture.
- Pay attention to your footing. Look out for black ice.
- Slow down, keep your stride shorter, and avoid long steps.
- Always have your cell phone handy.
Don't Forget Chiropractic Care
Did you know that routine chiropractic care at The Joint Chiropractic can also reduce the risk of wintertime injuries? Take a look at how it can help.
- Increases range of motion and flexibility
- Improves balance, coordination, and stability
- Relieves muscle tension
- Corrects joint dysfunction
In addition to the benefits listed above, if you do slip and fall, your local chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic can help you get back into proper alignment and can speed the healing process of your injuries. So stay safe and enjoy all the beauty that winter has to offer, and don't forget to come in to The Joint Chiropractic for that extra layer of protection!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Bloomington, Minn.