Happiness Served with a Dollop of Greek Yogurt
By Donna Stark
My daughter is on a new health journey, so that means everyone in the family is on one too. We all head to the grocery store together, we spend time cooking delicious, healthy meals side-by-side, and family date night has changed from movies or bowling to treadmills and free weights at the gym. It’s been an eye-opening experience because we are actually enjoying things that we used to avoid like the plague. Workouts at the gym on a Friday night? Never on our radar … until now. Greek yogurt? Ugh! You couldn’t pay us to eat that before, but now it’s become our first choice. And our second. And our third. We use it in so many ways now that it’s hard to remember what we used in its place before. Really!
Wanna Go Greek?
Have you found yourself standing in front of all the yogurt selections in the grocery store, curious about Greek yogurt and how it tastes? Have you been wanting to go Greek, but are unsure how? Here are some simple suggestions on how to add Greek yogurt into your diet in ways that are sure to get you and your family loving it!
- Smoothies - Throw your favorite fruit in a blender with some Greek yogurt, milk, honey, and a handful of spinach for an amazing nutrient-dense energy shake.
- Guacamole - Who says you can’t mix Greek with Mexican? This may sound unusual, but adding Greek yogurt to guacamole adds some extra creaminess along with protein and calcium.
- Pancakes - Want some delicious, can’t-get-enough, fluffy pancakes in the morning? Replace some of the milk with Greek yogurt and start your morning with the perfect fuel for your body.
- Popsicles - Leave the sugary, nutrient-absent popsicles in your grocer’s freezer and make your own healthier version at home! Fill your popsicle-maker with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt for a delicious and healthy mid-afternoon treat.
- Sandwiches - If you prefer using mayonnaise on your sandwiches over mustard, then you have to try this. Use Greek yogurt in its place! You will still get the same amount of creaminess and tang that mayonnaise offers but with less fat.
Use Your Imagination
When it comes to yogurt, most of us just stick to enjoying it topped with berries and granola. And although that’s how we initially started eating it, we soon came to realize that Greek yogurt has so much more potential. It quickly went from an afternoon treat to a culinary staple in our home and the same thing can happen to yours. So if you are hoping to clean up your cooking and are willing to try a new flavor, then stop standing in front of the refrigerator section at your grocery store and make a move! Go ahead and grab that container of Greek yogurt and get ready for it to become your first choice over the others!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Woodbury, Minn.