Time Well Spent: The Importance of Self-Care
By Donna Kostiew
Isn’t it about time that you treat yourself? This question was on a billboard that I drove past tonight and underneath it was a picture of a bright yellow Porsche. It was basically encouraging every person that drove past to head on over to the nearest Porsche dealership and simply pick one up. I mean, how easier could it be to treat yourself, right?
Well, it can be easier … a lot easier … and with less of a hit to your bank account. Although our schedules and calendars are filled to the brim and our phones are constantly beeping with new notifications reminding us of how busy we are, it is imperative that we find the time to take care of ourselves. Self-care is the ultimate way to "treat ourselves" and it doesn’t need to take much of your time or money to do so.
Self-Care Isn’t a Once-and-Done Deal
Since we are all so busy, a great way to implement some self-care routines into your days is to start small. Some easy suggestions to follow that you can fit into a short amount of time, and usually with little cost, are:
- Wash your face every night
- Inhale an upbeat smell, like peppermint or citrus
- Get a few extra minutes of sun
- Take a quick nap
- Make some tea
- Treat yourself to something soft, something that feels great against your skin
- Skip the fast food and buy a real lunch with actual fruits or veggies
- Head to the comic section at the bookstore and buy a Calvin and Hobbes book … trust me
Obviously, these are simple activities to take care of your body and to bring a smile or two to your days. And it is pretty easy to come up with more. The tricky part is to get over the “always taking care of others first” attitude and accept that you are just as deserving as everyone else to be doted upon (even if you are the one doing the doting). But no matter how small the act, treating yourself regularly with thoughtfulness and kindness will absolutely change the way you live your life.
The End Results are Too Important to Ignore
These little acts of self-care, of attention, and of much-needed restoration are also surprisingly important because you may:
- Begin to feel more connected to yourself and to others around you
- Find joy and delight in the smallest of pleasures
- Feel convicted to incorporate even larger acts of self-care into your days
- Impact your health in a profound way
The possibilities are endless, but they need to start somewhere. So make it easy for yourself in the beginning to add a little bit of attention to your body, mind, and soul every day and see where it goes from there.
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Sunset Hills, Mo.