A Healthy Spine Leads to a Healthy Life
By Debra Rodzinak
Studies have shown that people who suffer with back pain are often less healthy than those who do not. However, with almost 90 percent of the population suffering from some type of spinal pain at some point in their lives, knowing what areas of life to focus on can lead to a healthier spine and, in turn, a healthier life.
Healthy Lifestyle Guidelines
Keeping the spine as healthy as possible is important in maintaining overall health. The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) has some recommendations for spinal health:
- Do not stand bent forward for too long
- When standing, place one foot slightly in front of the other and bend the knees slightly
- Never twist while lifting
- If an item is too heavy, push it rather than pull it using the legs to push
- When sitting, keep the knees a little higher than the hips
- Keep posture in mind and try not to slouch
- Try to keep the curve in the lower back
- Don’t try to reach for something that is too far overhead, but instead use a stool to stand on for height
- Bend at the knees instead of at the waist when picking something off the floor
- Keep heavy objects as close to the body as possible while carrying a heavy load
- Sleeping with a pillow between the knees for side sleepers reduces pressure on the back
- If overweight, try to get within 10 pounds of the ideal weight
- Do not smoke
- Get regular chiropractic treatments
Even if the spine is healthy, maintaining a healthy back involves maintenance. Just as a car needs the oil changed and the tires rotated to maintain peak performance, a spine needs regular spinal adjustments to keep the muscles and joints flexible and healthy.
If you are interested in maintaining a healthy spine that leads to a healthy life, come by The Joint for regular spinal adjustments. At The Joint, the expert doctors work with patients to develop a treatment plan that puts the patient in control. The Joint is reinventing the chiropractic experience by putting the patient in charge. It’s on your terms, not ours.
With no pesky insurance forms to fill out or appointment times to remember, keeping your spine healthy is easy and stress-free. Drop by The Joint today and begin your path to wellness with a gentle spinal adjustment.