Pilates for Your Best Body
By Donna Stark
Pilates is a low-impact exercise that has recently gained a lot of attention among those who love fitness. It is the go-to activity after a long day at work, especially if you are looking to clear your mind while also getting a whole-body workout in. But when it comes to Pilates, not too many people are familiar with it. In fact, most people can be placed in one of two groups ... they are either a die-hard devotee or they are a never-stepped-foot-in-a-studio newbie. If you are of the latter and are looking for a new way to work out and improve your health, you may want to consider trying a Pilates class.
Crossfit, kickboxing, Zumba ... so many different fitness classes to choose from, but if you want to strengthen and stabilize your muscles, tighten and tone your body, and improve and increase your flexibility, Pilates is the class for you! Check out the benefits you will get from joining a class.
- Core strength - A strong core is essential to good health and Pilates can help you achieve it by strengthening those important muscles.
- Total body - It's not just about your core, as you can expect to see changes to the rest of your body as well. Pilates is a full-body workout, so if you are looking for a lean, toned body, it's the perfect exercise for you.
- Posture - Slouching and a sedentary lifestyle can lead to poor posture, but Pilates can help to turn things around by strengthening the muscles that have become weak and improving the way you hold your body.
- Back pain - Because Pilates strengthens the body's core and improves posture, you may begin to notice that your back pain diminishes as well.
- Joint health - Since Pilates is a low-impact exercise, that focuses on controlled movements, there is little to no impact on your joints.
- Flexibility - The slow, intentional stretching that is performed during a Pilates class helps to strengthen both the large and small muscle groups, which helps to improve the body's flexibility in athletic performances and everyday life.
- Athletic performance - Pilates is a great boost to your athletic performance because it encourages an even development of all muscles, balances your body, and reduces the risk of injury.
Pilates is For Everyone
It doesn't matter what your age is, how fit you are, or whether you were blessed with flexibility or not, Pilates is definitely the type of exercise that can benefit everyone. So add some variety to your fitness routine and try a Pilates class! Who knows? You may even advance from a newbie to a die-hard devotee.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Caldwell, N.J.