How to Focus on Your Heart Health
By Sara Butler
Your body is like a grand cathedral. It needs a solid foundation and strong supports to help it work at its very best. While all aspects of your health are important, the health of your heart is one that is among the most important. After all, what are you without a heart?
There are certain things you should do in order to care for your heart and promote its health. These pillars of a healthy heart aren't difficult to understand, but it's important to learn them and apply them in your own life in order to stay healthy and strong. Here's what you need to know to support your heart health.
One of the keys to the health of your heart is nutrition.
It's important to focus on what you're eating in order to keep your heart and your cardiovascular system as a whole functioning at its best. To promote heart health you should:
- Eat lots of plants - The more fruits and vegetables you add into your diet, the healthier your heart will be. Plant-based foods are rich in antioxidants and fiber to help protect your heart.
- Limit refined sugars and carbohydrates - White flour, rice, and sugar should only be eaten occasionally. They have little nutritional value and can be an underlying cause of chronic inflammation, which isn't good for your heart.
- Reduce red meat - Processed meats and red meat should be reduced or eliminated from your diet. But you can easily replace them with plant-based proteins such as beans and tofu.
- Reduce sodium - Use herbs and spices in place of salt when cooking
- Limit fats - Keep an eye on how many fats you consume, including oils and nuts. They're good for you as long as you keep the servings in check.
Stress is unavoidable, but there are some things you can do to deal with it more effectively and improve your health. You can help to offset stress in your life by:
- Hugging it out - Hugs have been proven in studies to help boost your wellness, improve memory, and even reduce blood pressure
- Laugh - Watch or read something that makes you laugh and spend time with people who do the same. Laughing is a fun way to help reduce stress and increase blood flow.
- Practice awareness - Practices such as deep breathing, meditation, and yoga are great habits that can help you better cope with your feeling and get in touch with your body
Taking care of your heart is important. If you need help focusing on heart health, talk to the chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Albuquerque, N.M.