Chiropractic: The Drug-Free Way to Treat Pain
By Krista Elliott
Back in 1966, Abraham Maslow, the famous psychologist (from "Maslow's hierarchy of needs" fame) said "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail."
Maslow could very well have been speaking of how traditional medicine worked, particularly during that time. Between 1960 and 1964, sales of tranquilizers doubled, from $4 million a year to $8 million, underscoring America's growing reliance on medication for ... well, EVERYTHING.
As a society, there is no doubt that we are very reliant upon prescription and non-prescription medication for a multitude of ailments. And there is also no argument that when needed, these medications can be veritable life-savers.
How many pills are we taking, however? And are they all necessary?
A Mixed Bag of Meds
In an ideal world, it would be easy for doctors and pharmacists to keep track of precisely what medications we are taking, allowing them to ensure that nothing is being over-treated, and that there are no particular contraindications (when two or more medications don't play well together) to worry about. However, it's not always an ideal world, and when we get multiple doctors, multiple pharmacies, and multiple healthcare facilities mixed into things, it's possible for your medications to become a bit of a stew ... with unknown results.
This phenomenon was even worse during Maslow's day, before electronic records were de rigeur. It was a lot more difficult back then to keep accurate records if a patient was seeing multiple healthcare providers.
Why Chiropractic is a Great Option
Nowadays, more and more people are exploring drug-free options to treat their health woes, and they're definitely exploring chiropractic care. Here's why:
- Chiropractic care, like the expert care you get at The Joint Chiropractic, looks at the entire body, understanding that pain in one area may actually be caused by a joint misalignment in another area.
- It focuses on preventative medicine, working to ensure that the musculoskeletal system is operating at peak alignment. This helps to improve balance and range of motion, which reduces the odds of injury and accident.
- It treats pain gently and precisely, with targeted adjustments that help return the joints to their optimal position. This helps reduce any uneven forces that are being exerted on the muscles of the body, improving the symptoms of backache, shoulder pain, headaches and more.
- Chiropractic care is a safe and effective way to relieve pain for pregnant people, children, and any others who cannot take regular pain medication.
- Because it is a drug-free way to relieve pain and improve the functioning of the body, it is a sensible choice for people who are taking medications that may react badly with traditional painkillers.
So, if you are experiencing pain and want another option besides medication, why not give chiropractic care a try? The experts at The Joint Chiropractic would be happy to discuss treatment options with you — you don't even need an appointment! Just drop in to any of The Joint's 350+ nationwide locations today, and get on your way to feeling great, naturally!