How to Make Your Body Language Score for You
By Sandy Schroeder
When we meet someone new we quickly decide if we can trust them and respect them, based largely on their body language. At the same time, that person decides who we are, too.
Learning how to make your body language as effective as possible can make a huge difference in your relationships. Take the time to watch what other people do to learn from their skills and mistakes.
When you go into a meeting, look around to see what people are doing. You may be amazed how much you quickly learn about them.
I have watched people enter a meeting and quickly capture the attention and respect of the group with a quick smile, low voice, and confident manner. They never rush, or hesitate. Instead, they make the audience feel valued. Mastering this art can be well worth the effort. You may secure the support and cooperation of the group right from the start. Here are some tips from Lifehacks.
Body Posture to Master
Learn what to do and how to do it in every situation.
- Be calm – Don’t play with your papers or jewelry or pat your hair.
- Be alert – Sit up straight and look directly at the people around you.
- Avoid slouching – Project ease and awareness instead of fear or doubt.
- Build trust – Lean forward and put your hands on the table as you maintain eye contact.
- Never overwhelm – Figure out just what you need to present and do it. Don’t overload the audience with tons of figures. Do the homework to make your presentation fit the audience.
Ways to Become a Smart Listener
Too often we lose much of the content of the message as we think about what we will say. Here are some tips to build your listening skills.
- Come prepared – Do the homework to understand what is being said. Then ask intelligent questions.
- Lean forward and focus – Keep your attention focused on the speaker and the subject.
- Reflect the mood – Absorb the tone of the speaker, and the intent of the message.
- Use their language – Pick up key phrases to use when you ask questions.
I have watched all sorts of people speak and listen in a mix of meetings. Some were wildly successful. Others simply went down in flames, not even knowing what they were doing wrong. Make the effort to know the difference and enjoy your success.
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Fayetteville, N.C.