Causes and Chiropractic for Neck Pain
By Debra Rodzinak
The neck is made up of seven tiny bones called vertebrae. These seven vertebrae make up the cervical spine which helps the head move in every direction. Because of the delicate bones, the cervical spine is susceptible to injury. Simple tasks such as sitting for prolonged periods of time, aging, accidents or falls, and normal wear and tear can lead to neck pain.
Causes of Neck Pain
Some of the most typical causes of neck pain include:
- Accidents – Whiplash occurs when the neck or head is suddenly forced forward and rebounds. This violent jarring injures the soft tissues of the neck.
- Aging – Growing older can cause spinal disorders of the bones such as osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease.
- Osteoarthritis – This aging disease causes the cartilage to form bone spurs. These bone spurs affect the motion of the joints.
- Spinal Stenosis – The spinal nerves travel down the spine through the vertebrae. When the passage that these nerves travel becomes narrow, the nerves become compressed and can cause pain or numbness.
- Degenerative Disc Disease – This wearing down of the bones of the spine can cause decreased mobility, weakness, or numbness.
- Other Factors – Stress, poor posture, or even obesity can cause pressure on the muscles of the spine which will cause the neck to become misaligned.
Visiting an expert chiropractor at The Joint allows the doctor to perform an exam to pinpoint the exact source of pain and discomfort. The doctor will ask certain questions such as:
- How did you injure your neck?
- Have you tried any treatments to deal with the pain?
- Does the pain travel to other parts of the body?
- Does anything help ease the pain?
In addition to asking questions, the doctor may evaluate your range of motion, posture, and physical condition. Testing the reflexes, strength of surrounding muscles, and pain in other areas will be evaluated during the initial visit.
After a diagnosis is made, the doctor and patient create a treatment plan together. The Joint is reinventing the chiropractic experience. It’s on your terms—not ours.
At The Joint, the entire staff is dedicated to helping you find a path to wellness without the use of drugs or surgery. With no pesky insurance forms to fill out or appointment times to remember, finding an all-natural path to pain relief for your neck is easy and stress-free. Drop by The Joint today and begin your journey to a pain-free life.