Spinal Decompression Therapy for Back Pain
By Debra Rodzinak
Spinal decompression therapy is the stretching of the spine. This is completed with a traction table and the goal is to relieve back or leg pain. For those who are looking for a nonsurgical decompression therapy, spinal decompression therapy provides a way for pain relief without the use of drugs or surgery.
Theory of Spinal Decompression
Spinal decompression shares the same basic principle that is used for spinal traction without the use of a traction machine. There are several benefits thought to be brought on by spinal decompression therapy:
- A repositioning or retraction of bulging or herniated discs with a negative intradiscal pressure
- An influx of healing nutrients to the disc by creation of a lower pressure in the disc
How Spinal Decompression Therapy Works
Without surgery, spinal decompression is achieved by stretching and relaxing the spine in a controlled manner. With spinal decompression, the theory is that the process creates a negative pressure in the disc itself that has two benefits:
- The material that is herniated or bulging is pulled back into the disc
- Nutrients that heal the disc are allowed to freely flow back into the spine
What Happens During a Spinal Decompression Session
When a patient is suffering from lower back pain due to a bulging or herniated disc and is treated with a spinal decompression session, the following happens:
- A harness is attached to the lower table and a harness is placed around the hips
- The lower part of the table slides back and forth providing relaxation and traction
- The upper part of the table is stable and does not move
- The patients position on the table is either lying face down or face up
- Pain is not felt during decompression therapy
If you suffer from lower back or leg pain and are considering spinal decompression therapy, come to The Joint to get answers to your questions. At The Joint the expert chiropractors work with patients to develop a plan of treatment that puts the patient in charge. With over 350 convenient locations nationwide, finding pain relief through spinal decompression is quick and easy.
At The Joint, no appointment is needed and walk-ins are welcome. With no pesky insurance forms to fill out, a treatment at The Joint is often less than an insurance co-pay. Come to The Joint today and let our chiropractic team help you find a drug and surgery free path to pain relief.