Fall Fun: Chiropractic Tips to Prevent Pain
By Virginia Laird
As cooler weather enters the scene, most experience a feeling of excitement. Planning fall activities is finally in full swing. The many must-do favorites include chili cook-offs, hayrides, and corn mazes. However, for most families, pumpkin picking and hiking remain at the top of the list. Both of these activities can cause back pain. Chiropractors offer tips to help decrease the number of people who may fall victim to such activities. Adhering to these tips can help you enjoy more of the activities you have been looking forward to.
With the scorching summer heat finally a thing of the past and the beauty of fall beginning to show, hiking begins to gain steam among friends and families. It is important to be prepared prior to beginning your outdoor adventure. Although hiking can be fun and relaxing, it can also be the culprit of back pain. Chiropractors suggest you should make certain to pack light, using the following tips to protect the back:
- Choose a good backpack - It is important to carry a backpack with two wide, padded shoulder straps to even out the load.
- Wear comfy shoes - It is vital to wear shoes that are already broken in and comfy. Making certain your feet are comfortable can prevent strain on the back from an unnatural stride.
- Stretch before the hike - Any time you are preparing to be physically active it is necessary to warm up the body to help prevent injury.
Selecting a pumpkin from your favorite pumpkin patch is always exciting. Many families choose to purchase more than just one. More often than not, you may prefer a larger pumpkin (or two) which can be heavy. Chiropractors suggest the following to protect the back when heading to the patch:
- Take a wagon - Carrying a wagon (or something with wheels) can help prevent you from hauling the heavy load across the patch
- Lift with the legs - This requires bending at the knees, rather than at the waist
- Let someone help - Although you may not think you need help, it is wise to allow others to help lift the heavier pumpkins
As you check these items off of your fall activities list, make sure to take the appropriate measures to protect your back from pain. If you already suffer with some pain, consider stopping by The Joint Chiropractic near you. With no appointment necessary, beginning a pain management plan can be as easy as dropping in on your way home from work. Start enjoying your fall activities today!
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Raleigh, N.C.