Chiropractic Tips for Mattress Buying
By Sara Butler
There are a lot of aspects of everyday life that you may not think your chiropractor has an opinion on, but they do! One of those things is where you sleep. Well, not so much where but on what because your mattress plays a pretty big role in your overall spinal health. So, next time you’re out looking for a new mattress, keep these tips in mind from the chiropractors at The Joint!
When to Buy
Mattresses are one of those things in a home that tends to wear out their welcome. That’s because they’re a big investment -- a quality mattress can cost a pretty penny. People often hold on to mattresses far past the time they should.
You should get a new mattress every eight years or so, depending on what the manufacturer recommends. If your mattress is older than that, then consider springing for a new one!
A Few Tips
When you’re in the market for a new mattress, you should keep a few things in mind, such as:
- Mattress firmness - For most people, medium-firm mattresses will offer the best support. But it’s important to try out a mattress for a while before you know if it will provide the support you need, so make sure you have a window of time in which you can give it a test run at home or return it if it doesn’t provide what you need to keep your spine healthy.
- Sleep posture - You must make sure to sleep in a healthy posture. Use pillows to support your knees, hips, and neck properly. If you’re a stomach sleeper, then you should work on breaking that habit since it’s terrible for the health of your lower back and neck. Find a mattress that supports your own individual sleep posture well.
- Consider adjustable beds - Adjustable beds can be great for people with lower back problems. They allow you to elevate your head and bend your knees slightly. Don’t count them out if they appeal to you!
- Go for the specialists - You should buy your mattress from a store that specializes in them. That way, the salesperson will be much more knowledgeable about the subject of sleep and spine health (hopefully!).
- Talk to your chiropractor - Before heading out to buy a new mattress, discuss it with chiropractors at The Joint. They may have some other helpful tips based on your specific needs.
A new mattress isn’t a luxury, it’s a necessity for spinal health and overall health as well. So, do your research and find a mattress that offers you the support you need!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Cincinnati, Ohio.