Managing Stress so You Can Live Your Best Life
By Donna Stark
Stress has unfortunately become a normal part of our everyday lives, and even when we think we have everything under control, it still finds a way to slither into our days. From the moment we wake up and commute to work to the second we answer that last email and go to bed, our days are littered with stressful moments. We encounter so many stressors, in fact, that it can be hard to recognize them for what they are, and that is why it is so important to learn how to manage stress effectively.
The Effects of Stress
Even though you may not be aware of it happening, chronic stress can easily affect your physical, emotional, and mental health. Take a look at how excessive stress can lead to serious health issues down the road.
- Increases the risk of significant medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes
- Is often the root cause of headaches, insomnia, and mood swings
- Can lead to decreased productivity, lack of focus and concentration, and damaged relationships
How to Manage Stress
So, how can one effectively manage stress? Good question! Here are some suggestions on how to naturally deal with stress until it has either been reduced or completely eliminated from your life.
- Exercise - There is no denying the physical health benefits you can get from daily exercise, but did you know those workouts are also a healthy way to deal with stress? Moderate exercise for at least 30 minutes a day can improve your mood, regulate hormones, and promote relaxation.
- Massage - Stress can cause the muscles in your body to become unnaturally tense which can lead to pain and disrupted sleep. Fortunately, it is easy to address these symptoms with a simple massage!
- Connect with others - Having someone you can vent to, cry on, and share your troubles with could make all the difference in the world. Join a support group, ask a friend to stop by, or speak to your doctor. Having a human connection will do wonders for your stress levels.
- Laugh - Put your mind on something light-hearted and fun and forget about what is stressing you out. Spend your time laughing with friends, watch a funny television show, or listen to a stand-up comedian. Stress doesn't stand a chance against the best medicine out there ... laughter.
Living Your Best Life
Whether it's good or bad, stress will always be a part of your life, so it's important to learn how to manage it effectively. And with the suggestions above, you shouldn't have too much trouble doing so!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Hillsboro, Ore.