Nature Is the Answer for Improved Wellness
By Donna Stark
If there was a magic pill that improved both your physical and mental health, would you be interested? Most people would, but probably only after asking how much it costs. But what if I told you there was something that could improve your overall well-being and was totally free? Would that grab your attention more? If so, get your shoes and lace them up, because you can only find this thing if you open your front door and head outside!
Nature Has the Antidote
There's a reason why so many people choose a natural setting to escape to when it is time for vacation, and whether we truly understand why we do that or not, there is no mistaking how good we feel after spending time in the great outdoors. Studies have shown that spending time outdoors is good for both our physical and mental health, so let's take a look at how nature really impacts our health.
- Reduces feelings of anger and fear
- Decreases stress, anxiety, and depression
- Lowers blood pressure and heart rate
- Reduces the risk of illness and disease
- Increases focus, alertness, and creativity
- Improves sleep quality
- Promotes physical activity
- Relieve muscle tension and encourages relaxation
Taking Advantage of the Benefits of Nature
Getting outdoors is a proven way to improve your overall wellness, but in order to do so, you need to make time for nature in your everyday routine, even if it is only for a few minutes. Here are some suggestions.
- Find those extra moments - Walk you child to school, choose a farther parking spot, enjoy your morning coffee on your front porch ... look for ways where you can add some extra outside time in your daily routine.
- Stay physically active - Bring your childhood back to life and purchase a bike or just simply explore the area around you. Take a morning walk, go hiking on the weekends, or drive to a local nature preserve.
- Adopt a pet - Having trouble finding the motivation to go outdoors or to exercise? Adopt a puppy! In addition to providing extra companionship, a puppy will force you to head outside for a daily walk.
- Buy some plants - If mobility is an issue, bring the outdoors in! Fill your home with plenty of plants and flowers. It's the perfect way to reduce anxiety and stress when you can't experience what Mother Nature has to offer first-hand.
Spend some time outdoors and take note of how well you feel. It may be just enough to get you to forget all about those magic pills and potions, and to choose nature for improved health and wellness instead!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Portland, Ore.