Chiropractic Care Can Help Stop the Falls
By Donna Stark
My mom fell onto a sidewalk a couple of months ago. Apparently (and these are her words), she didn't land "that hard," but she did land hard enough to break some bones and collect an assortment of bruises. The breaks were in her shoulder and were so significant that she needed surgery a few days later and physical therapy for weeks after. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time she has fallen, and although she is thankful for those who came to her rescue, it's time that she tries something new as a way of meeting people. So I told her about chiropractic care and how it can reduce the risk of falls and injuries, and then I sent her over to The Joint Chiropractic.
Chiropractic Care as You Age
There are some choices you can make that will help you avoid falls, serious injuries, and limited independence, and they start at The Joint Chiropractic. Here's how chiropractic care can help.
- Increased balance and coordination - As we age, our sense of balance and coordination decreases. Chiropractic adjustments can improve balance and coordination by placing the spine in its proper alignment, supporting optimal function of the body's muscles and joints, and managing the symptoms of osteoporosis and arthritis. By restoring balance and coordination, the risk of future falls, injuries, and medical costs are drastically cut.
- Improved range of motion - When your range of motion is limited, life can suddenly become very tricky, can't it? Those awkward reaches and abnormal twists caused by stiff joints and tight muscles can certainly throw your body into precarious situations, but fortunately, chiropractic care can help! Chiropractic adjustments have been shown to increase a patient's range of motion not only in the spine but also in the legs and arms, and with this improved range of motion, you can get back to taking care of your basic needs and living the life you want.
In addition to chiropractic care, there are some things you can do on your own to keep yourself safe from accidental falls and injury. Take a look at the following tips.
- Rearrange items in your home so that you can avoid stepping on chairs or stools to reach them
- Consider putting a bell on your pet's collar so you can avoid stumbling over them
- Don't rush, it's OK for others to be patient while waiting for you
- Place a chair or bench in your bedroom to use when putting on and taking off shoes
- Keep walkways and stairs clear
Fall Into Good Habits
As we age, the risk of falling increases. Our balance is off, our flexibility is shot, and our range of motion is stifled, but your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic can help change all of that. So come on in today. With more than 450 locations nationwide and no appointment required, it's a much simpler and less painful way to meet people the right way!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Portland, Ore.