Tips for Better Runs
By Donna Stark
Do you wish you could run as effortlessly as your friends in your neighborhood do? Would it be nice if just once your legs didn't feel like concrete during your jogs around the block? Well, here's a little secret that can help you get to where you want to be ... if you give your body a little more attention between the times you run, you can look forward to the day when your friends become envious of your running style. And doesn't that sound exciting?
Strong and Swift Running
Many people think that running should come as naturally as walking, but that isn't always the case for everyone who attempts it. If you would like to improve your running technique, you may need to incorporate some new strategies. From changing your habits to establishing routine chiropractic care at The Joint Chiropractic, there are plenty of things that can help.
There are several things you should do before you head outdoors that can make a difference in how you feel during your runs. Here are a few suggestions.
- Load up on good carbohydrates the night before
- Drink at least eight ounces of water 30 minutes before your run
- Make sure your shoes fit and aren't worn out
- Wear appropriate clothing
- Warm up with a relaxed and easy stride (don't start out too fast)
What you do after your run is just as important as what you do before it. Take a look at the following tips on how you can help your body recover.
- Cool down by jogging at a slower speed for at least five minutes
- Stretch (don't rush this)
- If possible, soak in a hot bath or a hot tub
- Include protein and plenty of greens and vegetables in your next meal
- Rehydrate throughout the rest of the day
Establishing routine chiropractic care can help your runs become a lot easier too! With precise adjustments, your chiropractor can help improve joint and muscle function, increase flexibility and balance, and ease muscle tension and strain. You will notice such an amazing difference in the way your body feels, you may actually find yourself running to your visits!
Run Like a Gazelle
The more time you spend changing your habits and taking care of your body with visits to The Joint Chiropractic, the more it will reward you with amazing runs! So, are you ready to run like a gazelle? You know what you have to do!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Portland, Ore.