Protect Those Muscles of Yours!
By Donna Stark
Apart from when you were young and you wanted to show off your body or the moments you experience random pains here and there, how often do you think about your muscles? Not very often? Well, you may want to change that. One of the most important things you can do to maintain good health as you get older is to take the necessary steps that will help prevent muscle loss. And to take those steps, you need to come up with a plan. Fortunately, your local chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic can help.
Why You Need to Protect Your Muscles
Once you realize exactly what your muscles do for you, it is easy to understand why you need to take some extra steps to protect them. You have more than 600 muscles in your body that enable movement, support the function of your organs, and boost metabolism. And while getting older is something we all have to go through, muscle loss is not. Take a look at what can happen if you lose too much of your muscle.
- Decreased mobility and independence
- Increased incidences of falls and fractures
- Increased risk of diabetes, heart issues, and respiratory problems
- Potential weight gain
- Reduced strength and energy
- Decreased immune function
How to Change Course
The good news is that muscle loss doesn't happen overnight, so there is plenty of time to make the necessary changes in your life that will help protect them. Here are a few suggestions on what you can do to keep your muscles happy and healthy.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes every day and be sure to include cardio and resistance training in your fitness program
- Keep an eye on your protein intake and try to eat a serving of it with every meal
- Consume a diet filled with a variety of nutrient-dense foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats
- Get the recommended amount of sleep each night so that your body can rebuild and repair your muscles
- Speak to your doctor about possible supplements that can help
- Get regular chiropractic adjustments
Being Proactive With Chiropractic Care
Routine chiropractic care can help you maintain healthy muscle mass by keeping your body pain-free and mobile. Your local chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic can also give you helpful tips on nutrition and exercises as well, so head on in to see them today! By being proactive and using all of the resources available, you can help keep your muscles in tip-top form through the later years of your life!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Portland, Ore.