How Purses Can Be a Pain in the Neck
By Donna Stark
Some women carry just enough to get them through the day while others carry their whole world in their handbag. And then there are the moms. Mothers are by far the most at risk for back and neck pain because in addition to carrying their own stuff, they are relegated to carrying stuff for everyone else in the family too. Bottles of water, diapers, toys, tablets, snacks ... and let's not forget the hand sanitizer too! Yes, mothers are definitely rock stars, but at some point, even the best of rock stars start to feel pain.
The size and weight of your purse can cause significant damage and pain to your back, neck, and shoulders, so if you have been carrying your world and the worlds of those you love in your bag, it's time to see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic. Take a look at some of the problems chiropractic care can help that your bag may be causing.
- Muscle pain - The weight of your bag can cause an imbalance in your back, neck, and shoulder muscles which can lead to stiffness, tension, spasms, and pain
- Arthritis - Forcing the neck to carry heavy weight for an extended period of time can be a contributing factor to arthritis
- Headaches - The stress that is placed on the upper back and neck can lead to serious headache pain
- Joint dysfunction - The body's balance is off when it has to carry an overstuffed bag which can cause dysfunctions in the spine and other joints of the body
- Nerve Pain - Thin purse straps that are responsible for holding a lot of weight are the perfect ingredient for pinched nerves, numbness, tingling, and pain
Drop the Weight!
No, I don't mean your actual weight ... I mean the weight in your bag! By making some simple adjustments to the bag you use, the health issues listed above can be avoided! Here are a few suggestions.
- Choose a bag that is proportionate to your body size
- Instead of always carrying your bag on one side, switch shoulders often
- Make sure your bag has wide shoulder straps or alternative strap options (hand carry, cross-body)
- Edit the contents of your bag and wallet ... then edit some more
- Consider using a backpack or purchase backpacks for your children to carry their own stuff
Lose the Pain, Not the Bag!
By following these simple strategies and seeing your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic, it's easy to lighten your load and eliminate your pain! So start dropping that weight and head on in to get adjusted today! With more than 450 locations nationwide, daily hours, and no appointment required, finding relief is literally, in the bag.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Huntingdon, Pa.