Sit Up Straight! You'll Thank me For It
By Sara Butler
When your mother and grandmother told you repeatedly to eat your vegetables, look both ways when crossing the street, and to sit up straight, did you listen? Here's a news flash: They didn’t tell you all that just to annoy you -- they had your health and wellness in mind. As an adult, you shouldn’t forget their advice, especially when it comes to sitting up straight. So many people today spend a lot of time sitting. That’s why it’s important to know the right way to sit up straight!
The Benefits of Good Posture
Good posture does more than simply make you look better, it also has a lot of benefits to your health, which is why the chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic want to encourage you to practice good posture. In fact, practicing good posture can:
- Keep your bones and joints free from dysfunction
- Keep your muscles balanced
- Decrease abnormal wear and tear of the joints
- Prevent your spine from joint restriction
- Prevent fatigue
- Make your muscles more efficient by using less energy
- Reduce the chance of experiencing back or neck pain
When you practice good posture, it allows your body to work optimally, which helps you feel better!
How to Achieve Good Sitting Posture
In order to practice good posture, there are a few general things you must accomplish first. You should:
- Work on becoming flexible
- Exercise to keep muscles strong
- Make it a habit to be aware of your posture when sitting
Once you’ve mastered these things, you can then check your posture when sitting. To make sure you’re sitting correctly, chiropractors recommend you:
- Keep your feet flat on the floor with your knees bent at a 90-degree angle
- Ensure your back and buttocks are up against the back of your chair
- Have a chair with good lumbar support
- Keep your shoulders relaxed but not hunched over or leaning forward
- Evenly distribute your body weight across your hips
- Keep your knees at the same level as your hips
If you’re not doing any of the above, then you need to work with your chiropractor in order to correct it. Sitting without good posture for too long can cause problems with your hips, back, shoulders, and neck, making you feel tired at the end of each day.
For more advice about proper posture and what you can do to achieve it, talk to the chiropractors at The Joint today!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Columbia, S.C.