The Truth about Headaches
By Sara Butler
How recently have you suffered from a headache? Most people suffer from headaches at some point in their lives, some more frequently than others. In fact, some people suffer from headaches that are debilitating and frequent. These types of headaches can be disruptive to a person’s life and health, which is exactly why your chiropractor wants to help. If you’re one of the 12 percent of Americans who suffer from headaches on a regular basis, keep reading in order to find out how your chiropractor may be able to bring your headaches to an end once and for all.
Factors that Impact Headaches
Migraines and other headaches can be the result of a number of factors, such as:
- Subluxations in the neck – If you have problems with the alignment of your spine in your neck, then migraines or other types of headaches can be triggered by this.
- What you eat – Foods that are high in sugar, protein, or caffeine have been known to trigger headaches. Alcohol, red meat, and dairy products are actually quite common triggers.
- Behaviors – If you do certain things such as exercise too much or have insomnia, it can impact your blood sugar. If your blood sugar changes too drastically, then a headache can be triggered.
Different Types of Headaches
According to the American Headache Society, there are over 300 different types of headaches a person can experience, including:
- Cluster headaches
- Migraine headaches
- Cervicogenic headaches (caused by joints in the neck)
- Tension headaches
They all differ when it comes to symptoms, but there is some overlap. Common symptoms of a headache include:
- Soreness of the neck
- Stiffness of the neck
- Pain in the head
- Visual disturbances or visual changes
There are different conditions that can trigger headaches as well, including whiplash injuries, head injuries, concussions or even more serious health conditions. That’s why reporting any headaches you suffer to your chiropractor is really important.
Talk to Your Chiropractor
Your chiropractor can work with you to assess what may be causing your headaches and take steps to help you address the problem. Chiropractors want to find out what is causing your symptoms and treat the root cause rather than treat just the symptoms.
If you ever suffer from a headache that is severe or pain that lasts for longer than two days, then you need to get it addressed immediately by a medical professional.
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic.