Chiropractic Care for Cyclists
By Sara Butler
You may be an avid mountain biker or just a casual cyclist in the evenings. No matter which way you enjoy riding a bike, chiropractic care can help you stay injury-free. There are some injuries that are common to all cyclists. Here’s what you need to know in order to stay healthy and how chiropractic care can help!
Common Injuries for Cyclists
From the everyday commuter to the competitive cyclist, they all share the same common injuries. These include:
- Muscle soreness – Many cyclists experience delayed muscle soreness that can last for more than a day
- Foot pain – This can include numbness, arch pain, plantar fasciitis, and tingling in the foot
- Shoulder injuries – Can range from sprains of the shoulder joint to fractures of the collar bone or shoulder
- Knee injuries – Cyclists can suffer from tendonitis in the knee or a condition aptly referred to as “cyclist's knee”
- Legs strains – The hip flexors and thigh muscles often get strained
- Elbow issues – Tennis elbow or dislocation of the elbow can occur
- Wrist problems – Cyclists can suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome, cyclist’s palsy, and ulnar neuropathy
How Chiropractors Can Help
Chiropractic care can be very helpful for cyclists in order to help them prevent common cycling injuries, and treated ones, that crop up. Chiropractors at The Joint have experience helping cyclists with regular chiropractic adjustments and recommendations for conditioning exercises that can help them to build strength in order to avoid injury. With a chiropractor’s help, cyclists can maximize their health while also enhancing their endurance in order to be stronger, faster, and more efficient on the bike.
In the event an injury does occur, chiropractors can help cyclists to reduce their symptoms. Numbness and pain can often be treated with chiropractic intervention. They can also help cyclists to retain their range of motion, muscle strength and athletic ability when they’re in recovery.
Pain from biking injuries shouldn’t keep you from enjoying the time you love spending on your bike! Cyclists have benefitted from chiropractic care for years – and so can you! Make sure that no matter your cycling level that you’re using chiropractic care to help you stay healthy and moving forward! So ride your bike over to The Joint and have one of our chiropractors assess your health and wellness -- you never need an appointment!
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Austin, Tex.