Want Better Health? Start Stretching!
By Donna Stark
You consume a healthy diet, get decent sleep, and exercise every day, so why does it feel like something is still missing? Well, you feel that way because something is! Stretching is an important component of your overall well-being and if it's not in your daily routine, you will definitely feel it. Stretching helps to ease muscle tension, support healthy joint function, and reduce the risk of injury. It's also a great way to relax your mind and spirit. The best part about stretching though, is that anyone can do it, no matter their age or physical condition!
How to Properly Stretch
Before you just plop yourself on the floor and blindly start your stretch session, you may want to learn a few things on how to do it properly. The suggestions below will help you get the most out of your time and effort.
- Stretch regularly - Stretching should be done regularly for it to be effective. Commit to a stretching session at least every other day and before all physical activity if you can.
- Take your time - Hold each stretch for 30 seconds and avoid bouncing.
- Don't seek pain - More than likely, you will feel some tension in your muscles while stretching, but you should never stretch so hard that the tension turns to pain. If that area of your body does start to hurt, ease up a bit.
- Spread the love - Don't get stuck focusing on the same muscle group. Share the love and stretch every part of your body.
- Warm up - Before you start stretching, warm up your muscles first with a short walk or some light movements. Why? Cold muscles are not as pliable and you can reduce your risk of injury by doing so.
Improve Your Healthy With Stretching
If you need some motivation or encouragement to start stretching every day, take a look at the following benefits you will receive by doing so. You may be surprised by the impact it can have on your life.
- Increased range of motion and flexibility
- Improved posture and mobility
- Increased energy and independence
- Decreased tension, stress, and strain
- Reduced risk of injury and significant medical conditions
So, are you ready to start stretching? Take a few minutes to look at your daily schedule and see where you can fit it in. And remember, you don't need to spend a lot of time doing this. Even just a few minutes, a couple of times a day, will make all the difference in the world!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Brownsville, Tex.