Start Your Day Pain-Free!
By Sara Butler
It’s not uncommon to wake up from a good night’s sleep feeling great only to move and realize your back is hurting. Back pain is a problem many people have to deal with on a daily basis and it can have a big impact on your quality of life. Here are some chiropractic suggestions to help you battle back pain when you wake up in the morning so you can start your day off right!
When You’re at Home
What works for one person to relieve back pain may not work for another, so you’ll need to experiment and consult with your chiropractor at The Joint to find the right solution for you. In general, to try to wake up without pain you can try:
- Sleeping in a different position – If you sleep in a position that puts strain and stress on your back or neck, it is likely the culprit of your morning back pain. The solution is to find a better sleeping position that helps you wake up feeling refreshed but without the pain.
- Utilize pillows – Positioning your pillows wisely is key to waking up in the morning pain-free. It’s important to keep your neck and spine in a neutral alignment as you sleep. If you sleep on your back, use a pillow to support your neck and place a pillow under your knees too. If you’re a side sleeper, put a pillow between your knees and one under your neck to support it. If you’re a stomach sleeper – just stop it. Seriously.
- Wake up and move – When you wake up at night you force yourself to change position, which can really help if you fight the pain that can result from being in one position for too long. When you wake up at night, try to train yourself to move around to a better position, or get up and go to the bathroom to get your muscles moving.
How Chiropractic Can Help
If you wake up with back pain in the morning you should see a chiropractor. They can offer you:
- Chiropractic adjustments – These adjustments will help to keep your spine aligned, which helps relieve the strain put on the surrounding muscles when a vertebra is out of place. Adjustments also help to improve your spinal mobility and range of motion, which can help relieve pain too.
- Stretching – Your chiropractor can suggest therapeutic stretching techniques for you to do in the morning to help relieve stiffness and pain, as well as build strength to help keep your body aligned.
If you have questions about back pain in the mornings, discuss it with your chiropractor during your next adjustment at The Joint Chiropractic.