Weekend and Chiropractic Warriors
By Donna Stark
Spring is here and we all know what that means. Spring cleaning in and around the home, honey-do lists hung on the refrigerator every Saturday morning, yard work, garden work, work, work, work. It can be a lot and it can put us all in the perfect position to strain, stress, and hurt our backs. Your friends and family care about you. They don’t want to see you in pain. But truth be told, so many of us won’t ask for help. We are either too self-sufficient or we have an inflated sense of what our own physical capabilities are. Whatever the reason though, if you don’t want to ask for help, at the very least protect your spine.
If getting everything done on your own, and ripping your shirt open in true superhero fashion is your goal, then you will need to take the proper steps to protect your spine and reduce your risk of injury. Here are some suggestions.
- Exercising - Regular exercise helps to keep the spine healthy, flexible, and strong which will be needed as you are cleaning out the closets.
- Strengthening - It’s important to keep your core muscles strengthened. Lack of muscle in this area can pull your entire body out of alignment, and superheroes don’t look cool bedridden.
- Standing - Whether you are standing for long amounts of time while trying to figure out where to start first, or are standing because you are completely overwhelmed at the disaster in the garage, practice the correct stance. Avoid standing with your knees locked and relax, with a slight bend and one foot in front of the other.
- Lifting objects - This is where most weekend warriors become couch potatoes, sitting in pain. Always engage your knees and hips when lifting, and leave the dance moves (the twists and turns) on the dance floor. Also, avoid lifting solely with your back muscles.
- Carrying things - Your family has accumulated a lot of stuff over the winter months and it all needs to find its own space. Sometimes that means a new spot in the house, sometimes it means a walk to the curb for trash collection. Either way, keep the item close to your body and spread the weight evenly.
Truth be told, even heroic weekend warriors injure themselves; if you find yourself in that position, I would encourage you to see another type of warrior … your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic. Their targeted adjustments are safe and effective. They will reduce your pain and speed your recovery without the use of prescription medications or invasive treatments. And to top it off, you will, in no time, be back to doing what you do best … ripping that shirt open and declaring triumph over any honey-do list that gets placed in your hand.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Houston, Tex.