Fill Your Heart with Love and Good Health
By Donna Stark
Summer has always been considered the season of love. With its warm summer breezes, beautiful destinations, and gorgeous flowers in bloom, it’s no wonder that it is the most popular time for weddings, romantic getaways, and young romances. Passion and love abound during this time for those who are willing to open their heart, and that’s a beautiful thing. But in order for the heart to be able to receive all of this beauty, it has to be healthy, right? So take care of it and feed your body the right things!
If the thought of eating healthy foods breaks your heart, just think of what could happen if you don’t. Dealing with a serious heart issue is a lot worse than changing your diet, and although there are many factors that come into play when it comes to reducing your risk for heart disease, the one with the greatest impact on your heart health is your diet. Fortunately, eating healthy doesn’t mean depriving yourself of what you love or taking so much away from your diet that you aren’t feeling satisfied after meals. Here are some incredibly heart-healthy foods that you can easily add to your diet.
- Berries - Berries are the perfect summer dessert. In addition to getting your fill of sweetness from them, you can also improve your heart health. Incorporating berries into your diet will help lower the risk of heart attacks and decrease your blood pressure.
- Salmon - Salmon makes a delicious meal and with the added benefit of omega-3 fatty acids, it is a perfect heart-healthy addition to your diet. Salmon also helps reduce inflammation caused by plaque buildup.
- Beans - Beans, beans, they’re good for your heart … remember when you used to annoy your mother with that little rhyme? Well, it’s true. They are good for your heart because they include antioxidants, fiber, protein, and iron. They have also been shown to lower the risk of heart disease.
- Almonds - Loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, Vitamin E, protein, and magnesium, these delicious little bites of goodness pack a heart-healthy punch!
- Asparagus - Packed with folate, fiber, and antioxidants, asparagus is a great addition to your heart-healthy diet because it helps to reduce blood pressure. An added bonus is that it pairs amazingly well with your heart-healthy salmon too!
Choose Whole Foods
No, not the store … the types of food you buy! Choosing whole natural foods instead of processed, artificial foods will make a significant impact on the health of your heart and your overall wellness too. So fall in love this summer. Fall in love with eating well and fall in love with feeling great. After all, eating well is the best way to have a happy, healthy lifestyle.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Houston, Tex.