The Joys of Being Present
By Donna Kostiew
We all have a lot running through our minds. Some of us are living with regret, constantly rehashing old mistakes from our past, while others are worrying about the future, dwelling on mistakes that are yet to happen. Many of us even struggle with both sides of that coin. It’s a constant battle, but what if we could clear our minds from such thoughts, worries, and anxieties?
Becoming more present in your life is one way to clear those struggles from your mind. Gone will be the days of feeling overwhelmed, stressed, scattered, and forgetful. Regret and worry will find a new home, and you will be all the better for it.
Past, Future, and Present
It’s time to leave the past in the past, and the future to the future. It’s time to learn how to become more present in your life today because the benefits of doing so are well worth it!
- You will accomplish more during your days
- Your relationships will improve and deepen
- You will enjoy special occasions more
- You may find more things to appreciate and value
- You will become engaged with more people
Being present is a shift in attitude. It’s about how we experience the world, and all of its gifts, around us. It’s about a change in how we look at things, how we interact with others, and how we respond to everyday demands. It’s about a choice to listen more actively, to care more deeply, and to participate more fully. It’s about making life matter.
Like all new changes in our lives, this will take some practice. But the good news is that you can become more present in just about everything you do, and the benefits will be seen almost immediately.
Practice Makes Perfect
Becoming more present in your life isn’t as difficult or time-consuming as one would think. Here are some suggestions to start with.
- Use all of your senses when experiencing new things
- Set aside specific times for daily tasks, such as checking email, or cleaning
- Practice eye contact while in conversation with others
- Put away electronic devices and watch less TV
- Take your time doing the things you love
- Become an active listener
- Marvel at the world around you and appreciate all its miracles
- Encourage your own curiosity, look deeper into situations
Human connection is very important for our health and well-being. It is something we crave when we don’t have it for extended periods of time, so be mindful of wherever you happen to be. Being truly present in your life will increase the joy that you are able to experience and is a great way to connect with those around you.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in The Woodlands, Tex.